Monday, August 16, 2010

Wood Paper Luminary



I made this Wood Paper Luminary for an accessory at my husband's office. The office is almost done! Yeah!



Obviously, I would not want an open flame this close to wood paper. ;) I happened to have one of these Glade Flameless Candles on hand. (I got it FREE after coupons and rebates.) It's scented and comes in several scents. This is PERFECT for a luminary!!

I did not take pictures along the way so I apologize that you will have to READ instead of look at pictures.

3 pieces 4" wide x 4-1/2" high (Sitka Spruce)

3 pieces 3/4" wide x 4-1/2" high (Bubinga)

1 piece 14-1/2" wide x 1-1/4" high (Wenge-bottom)

1 piece 14-1/2" wide x 1-1/4" high (Ebony-top)


I started with 1 piece of the 4" x 4-1/2" (Sitka Spruce) and 1 piece of the 3/4" x 4-1/2" (Bubinga). I laid them next to each other upside down and scotch taped them together so they wouldn't slide during stitching. I stitched them together with a double zigzag stitch. I repeated this step until all 6 of these middle pieces were sewn together. I DID NOT SEW IT IN A CIRCLE. It is just one long piece at this point.





I then taped and stitched the bottom (Wenge) and top (Ebony) pieces to the middle section. I then used a Martha Stewart paper punch on the top piece to make it more decorative. Using a permanent adhesive strip, I ran it down one and and taped it to the other end...creating the circle.




Slip it over the flameless candle and ENJOY!



Now Available!

Wood Paper Sample Pack


You will receive 26 - 3" x 4" pieces of each species we offer. You will also be able to see the different backing types and paper thickness available.


26 Wood Species
Backings Included: Paper, Fleece and Wood

Thickness: .016", .018" and .024"

Available:
HERE



3 comments:

Lori said...

Fantastic addition to an office or any room for that matter Good thing they make flame-less candles!

Kristine said...

This is sooo AWESOME Sue! I never wouldda thought to use a flameless candle (I've never boughten those) but it sure looks FABULOUS like it could even be a centerpiece at a fancy restaurant! Beautiful design and so creative =)

Lagene said...

WOW!!! This is awesome! Beautiful wood paper for this project!